Re: Thoughts on database...

Aha, some conversation on fplan, great. I've been looking at the program
with a view to possible changes. I could make the changes myself, but
would rather be part of a coordinated effort.

>   Granted, this could be solved by creating seperate sort keys
>with pointers into another file, but I think it's just as easy to
>migrate towards something like Berkeley DB or similar.

Personally I would like a generic db interface and then if people want to
write modules for different databases that would be fine. So, by default
fplan would use the current files and include the module for those. For
myself I would probably use something like MySQL or PostrgreSQL as a
backend database.

>WHat little time I spent over the summer was taking a closer look at
>the free DAFIF files. Probably the way to go, the NASD CD-ROM is a bit
>of a pain to order all the time (and it's not free!)

I went through the free DAFIF files as well (as I don't have the NASD CD)
and found some omissions in the information such as a whole airport was
missing. There may be more but I was trying to fly to this one !!

GUI:
This can be complicated or hard ;) A simple gui that is just a wrapper for
fplan would be easy enough to put together.

I'm not convinced of the merits of completely integrating a gui to the
program, it may look nice, but does it add any functionality ?

Mike