Re: TODO / Design Document - For dicussion

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> > Main Functionality -
> >         Extending the current code with a gui.

it might be nice to keep the core of fplan very simple, and wrap it with a
gui. i'd sign up for this, as well as to create an 'anywhere map' clone,
incorporating the new wx and other features. it's been something i've been
dying to do for a while, but not quite sure what to use as the base. fplan
looks perfect for this.

> > New Functionality -
> >         In flight capabilities (on linux based pda's and/or otherwise)
> >         Airport directory, facilities information
> >         Weather downloads
> >         E6B functions
> >         DUATS (maybe ;)

> > It would be nice to set the code up to be modular in nature, allowing new
> > modules to be added without a major rewrite of the underlying code. This
> > will also allow us to keep a cli if desired.

maybe we could look into an lgpl scripting language (ala python) as a
scripting wrapper around the core. i've seen a few commercial software
vendors do stuff this way, and it seems to work reasonably well...

> > I would even go so far as to suggest a modular database system as well
> > allowing people to use whichever database they want. Default would be the
> > existing setup with modules for other db's (Berkeley DB, MySQL,
> > PostgresSQL, etc.) I've already hacked together some routines to convert
> > the DAFIF airport files into a Postgressql table.

> > Personaly, my area of expertise is in low level coding, network stuff and
> > databases.

sign me up for gui stuff & graphics stuff. i've been doing professional
opengl development for over a decade, so i'm ready to tackle this task,
from pda to onyx. :)

bob

|      bob kuehne       |  "there was coffee. life would go on."  |
|      rpk who net      |   - william gibson, the winter market   |