Re: New fplan release is out ....

[moved to fplan-list from private email]

John Peterson writes:
>When you get the urge, take a look at the latest version of the "TODO"
>file. The design concept has started to fall into place more, but other
>opinions are always good...

The general design seems OK.

One suggestion for the interactive pre-flight mode design: without
worrying too much about how functionality will be supported on the
back end, use glade to create a front end.  Use libglade to load the
user interface.  This makes all the chrome user-configurable via
XML, and should cut way down on the interface chores.  If you want
to play around with interfaces, pygnome is available and pyglade
can allow you to muck with interface mockup really fast.

For in-flight design, I don't know if GNOME is the right way to do
it.  Certainly, it would have to be a very limited version.  I think
that defining a compact data format that can describe an entire flight
plan is more important -- I'd rather use a real PalmOS application on
my palmpilot than GNOME ported to PalmOS if I'm going to run this on
my pilot.  (For one thing, I only have a Palm Personal with 512K RAM...)
I would suggest that in addition to the data format description, we
would include some C code for parsing the format and a bunch of
convenience routines, which would be bundled with fplan for use by
any small-computer front end.

michaelkjohnson