Minutes of the Board meeting, 2006/Jul/19
- From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>
- To: foundation-list gnome org, foundation-announce gnome org
- Subject: Minutes of the Board meeting, 2006/Jul/19
- Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:30:07 -0500
GNOME Foundation Board Meeting, 2006/07/19
Vincent (phone trouble; stayed on IRC for the rest of the meeting)
1. Hire - status (who's contacted who)
* Widely distributing job description and role
2. Licencing agreement - going to lawyers with Dom's work
3. Event participation - COPU, GOSCON, Siggraph, aKademy
4. GUADEC leftovers - final budget, hardware, donations, returning
loans, announcements, actions/promises
5. Mellon awards nomination
6. OSDL 2007 budget requests
7. Any other business
* Jeff to write a proposal for the technical project meeting. NOT DONE
* JRB to send an update on what hardware has been bought for the event
box. NOT DONE
- Update: JRB hasn't sent that, but there's more stuff in the
event box than there used to be. JRB will send the full list of
items to board-list.
* Vincent to work with the membership committee on problems and
governance NOT DONE
* Vincent to change the template for the notifications that happen upon
getting a CVS account: "By the way, now that you have CVS account you
may want to become a Foundation member!". IN PROGRESS
* Get quotes for back-office services (jrb to ask owen) - OBSOLETE (we
will hire Zana)
* Jeff to write a press release for the GTK+ / Foundation
announcement. NOT DONE
* Budget. Quim is finishing the numbers from GUADEC. ACTIONS:
- Quim to finish the financials from GUADEC (should be ready
by the end of July or August).
- Quim to finish his GUADEC-HOWTO.
We have the four machines we used for streaming GUADEC. They
are on the inventory of GNOME-Hispano; the machines are
physically in the Fluendo office. Thomas Vander Stichele says
they'll use the machines for tinderboxing.
We have the donations from Sun on two Ultra 20 workstations to
give away to community members. ACTION: Federico to
send question to foundation-list: who should get the machines?
HP loaner laptops are back in the HP offices.
* Latin American conferences:
Miguel �gel L� wants to organize a Latin American GUADEC;
needs to be put in touch with potential sponsors.
Izabel Cerqueira (Brasil) asked for help with contacting people
to come as speakers for F� GNOME in Brasil.
ACTION: Dave to contact Miguel �gel and Izabel.
* Trademark licensing agreement:
We got a lot of work from Dom Lachowicz. We got a new
revision from DW Price. The contract has been sent to
Killermundi, Quim is negociating with them.
ACTION: Anne to send the trademark licensing agreement to SFLC
ACTION: Quim to talk with Killermundi about the GNOME Store.
Zana is our new administrator. Previously she worked for us
as a consultant, so did not have a contract. She obtained a
sample contract; we can review it. It needs a few changes
from its sample form.
ACTION: Dave to mail Zana about rewording the sample contract.
We will not be hiring our Executive Director / Foundation
Development Officer until September, when we review some
candidates. JRB and Jeff put together some interview criteria
ACTION: JRB to mail the draft criteria for an interview to
We need to nail down the job description for the Executive
Director / Foundation Development Officer. Greg Kelleher,
Simon Phipps, Bdale Garbee, Mike Jennings may know good
* Event participation:
Tink Bastian mailed board-list inviting us to aKademy 2006
(Dublin, September): Dave contacted Bill Haneman to go there
for accessibility discussions. John Palmieri will go to talk
about D-Bus and other Portland stuff.
SIGGRAPH - Dave talked to JP Rosevear about someone from
Novell coming to SIGGRAPH. ACTION: Federico to ask JP
Rosevear about Novell's people going to demo GNOME at SIGGRAPH
(Aug 1-3, Boston). Jonathan says Red Hat will try to send
some X and GNOME people. Owen Williams, David Trowbridge,
Chris Lahey will go (from boston-social).
GOSCON (Portland, October 12-13) - Stuart Cohen CEO of OSDL
will be there. We could send a person from GNOME to demo how
professional we are for government purposes, like Dave
Richards from the City of Largo. ACTION: Federico to contact
Dave Richards about going to GOSCON - ASAP, because we need an
abstract to be submitted.
Chinese COPU - not discussed; Jeff is missing.
* Mellon award nomination:
"We support education via blah blah"
GNOME as good case for contributor in education sector: OLPC,
S�Paulo, Macedonia, Andaluc� Extremadura.
ACTION: Federico to revise his submission of GNOME for the
Mellon awards to better position GNOME for the education
sector. Closing date: Friday August 04.
* Budget requests from OSDL:
Let's discuss that on the mailing list.
* Other business:
ACTION: Zana to mail Federico with her ISV integration guide
(articles in Red Hat Magazine), so that Federico can integrate
it with the current GNOME Integration Guide.
We'll wait until the GUADEC financials are done to figure out
how much money we can budget to hire people to work on
We'll wait for confirmation about when/where the October
Summit will happen before we ask for funding for
food/beverages for the attendees (like O'Reilly and Greg
Kelleher paid for refreshments and pizza last year,
ACTION: Dave to ask O'Reilly about comissioning a GNOME book
for ISVs under a free documentation license.
* Quim to finish the financials from GUADEC (should be ready
by the end of July or August).
* Quim to finish his GUADEC-HOWTO.
* Federico to send question to foundation-list: who should get the two
Ultra 20 machines?
* Dave to contact Miguel �gel L� and Izabel Cerqueira about the
Latin American conferences.
* Anne to send the trademark licensing agreement to Software Freedom
Law Center for approval.
* Quim to talk with Killermundi about the GNOME Store.
* Dave to mail Zana about rewording the sample contract.
* JRB to mail the draft criteria for an interview to board-list.
* Federico to ask JP Rosevear about Novell's people going to demo
GNOME at SIGGRAPH (Aug 1-3, Boston).
* Federico to contact Dave Richards about going to GOSCON - ASAP,
because we need an abstract to be submitted.
* Federico to revise his submission of GNOME for the Mellon awards to
better position GNOME for the education sector. Closing date:
Friday August 04.
* Zana to mail Federico with her ISV integration guide (articles in
Red Hat Magazine), so that Federico can integrate it with the
current GNOME Integration Guide.
* Dave to ask O'Reilly about comissioning a GNOME book for ISVs under
a free documentation license.
* No decisions this time; just catching up from GUADEC.
] [Thread Prev