Minutes of the Board meeting, 2006/Mar/01
- From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>
- To: foundation-list gnome org, foundation-announce gnome org
- Subject: Minutes of the Board meeting, 2006/Mar/01
- Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:04:28 -0500
Late minutes, sorry.
GNOME Foundation Board Meeting, 2006/03/01
Dave (+30 mins)
* Jeff to organize and contact people in various countries and regions
to act as local press contacts. (ongoing; he contacted various
people and is following up)
* JRB to finish job description for administrative needs. (ongoing,
sort of done)
* Anne to start process for GUADEC 2007 selection (DONE)
* Federico to organize next call at Novell (NOT DONE; to be done for
the next call)
* Luis to mail boston-social gnome org to look for volunteers to
represent us at Boston Usenix and Boston LWE (ongoing)
* Anne to send her draft program to foundation-list and put it up in
the web page (need to try again because of moderation issues)
* Dave to be our liaison with marketing-list to set up the basic
structure of the new www.gnome.org (ongoing as Dave was not in the
* Federico to ask Rodrigo what we got Killermundi to sign (DONE)
* Luis to help marketing-list prepare a press release for the
GNOME/W3C SVG anouncement (NOT DONE)
* Dave to formally invite the Software Freedom Law Center to be a
member of the Advisory Board (DONE)
* JRB to send out mugs and mouse pads to outstanding donors, and
thank-you notes as well (ongoing, as JRB was not in the call)
* Luis to find business card template and send it to board-list (DONE)
* Dave to request a contract from Quim.
* Quim to write a formal letter of invitation for the people who need
to get visas. Quim to find someone in Spain to contact the ministry
of foreign affairs.
* Jeff to start writing an agenda for the Advisory Board meeting
(DEADLINE: March 08).
* Federico to write his paper for the Advisory Board (DEADLINE: March
* Federico to mail advisory-board-list about what members would like
to get out of the Foundation. (DEADLINE: March 08)
* Jeff to ask the Advisory Board about funding GNOME through OSDL, or
funding it directly.
* Jeff to write a proposal for the technical project meeting.
* Dave to resurrect German contract from last year so that we can use
it for Axis Inform�ca.
Hiring an administrator:
- JRB was not in the call, so we'll postpone this.
- Travel budget: 20K euro is set aside for sending people to
- Credit card / handling cash advances: postponed until we
have Quim on a call, or on the mailing list.
- Sponsorship: we have Nokia on board as cornerstone sponsor;
further progress to be confirmed with Quim.
- Visa requests: we need someone from Spain to contact the
ministry of foreign affairs. We need a formal letter of
- Travel requests: need update from Quim.
- In general, we request that Quim send a status report one
day before each Board meeting.
Advisory board call:
- We don't have a date yet.
- We don't have an agenda.
- Federico to get off his lazy ass and finish writing up the
- Jeff to start writing an agenda for the Advisory Board
- Federico to mail advisory-board-list about what members
would like to get out of the Foundation.
- Idea is to have the adv. board call in two or four weeks
from now; we obviously need the agenda first.
- Companies are starting to perceive funding GNOME vs. funding
OSDL as an either/or proposition, but OSDL could act as a
pipeline to fund projects or conferences related to free
- We need to ask the OSDL steering committee for funding.
- This should be raised with the advisory board.
- Jeff to ask the Advisory Board about funding GNOME through
OSDL, or funding it directly.
Technical project meeting idea:
- Jeff to write a proposal for the technical project meeting.
- Anne is working on printing out materials for Linux Forum in
Copenhagen. Anne needs links to extra materials. Dave
Axis Inform�ca wanting to sell products with the GNOME logo:
- Dave to resurrect German contract from last year so that we
can use it for Axis Inform�ca.
- Dave contacted Aaron Seigo about participating in Open
Source Development Workshops; he's okay with that.
- We should ask the Advisory Board for funding so that we can
send the right people.
- Novell is interesting because we can position GNOME + Mono
as a good platform.
Getting back in touch with our legal representation:
- Luis has contacted Wilson Sonsini for information on status
from them, but our contact is traveling right now. We can't
switch to Harvard, per se, but we will (starting in late
March) get trademark advice from them.
- We got an invitation to participate in the IDABC Open Source
Expert Group in Prague. As a follow-up of the 2005 LinuxTag
Event the workshop will focus on concrete aspects of
collaboration: "Implementing Open Source Softtware in Public
Administration: Problems and Solutions". Anne would like
to attend as she did last year. We will cover her travel
- EU is doing a report on Representation of Women in Free
Software; numbers are very sad --- under 1.5%
- Jeff wants to bring up GNOME Certification again.
] [Thread Prev