Re: [Off Topic] Words to Avoid "Vendor" [was Re: Questions to answer]

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 14:55 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > >We can't solve the problem by denying it.
>
> No one is denying the power of words but matters of linguistics are
> distracting from more important issues (like the need for clear
> information and heading off patent threats).

Actually, the patent threats were carefully woven into carefully written
sentences that hid their true meaning in the (defunct) European
directive proposal on software patents.

Linguistics are hardly distracting, they're the form with which our
politicians were being fooled into believing they're doing good while
their actions risked dragging the EU into the new dark ages of software
development.

Now there's IPRED2 that allows someone to be labeled a criminal because
he heard someone explain how you can play CSS encumbered DVDs on
GNU/Linux and didn't point him out to the police, thus abetting* his
crime of attempting* to incite* and aid* people to act in what the EUCD
brought to define as infringement.

* ==> words from Article 3, Offences of com2005_0276en01.pdf

This is scandalous!

Rui