Re: [Off Topic] Words to Avoid "Vendor" [was Re: Questions to answer]

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > Does "ISV" stand for "Independent Software Vendor"?  If so, the term is
> > often misleading, because the most important developers of GNOME
> > applications--those developing free software--are mostly not vendors.
>
> The important point is the need for clear documentation making it easier
> for those who want to work with Gnome including businesses which self
> identify under the term ISV.  I'm sure the intention was not to exclude
> anyone.

And as an individual, I think that choice of word did fail.
Whenever I saw/read ISV in any context in GNOME, I thought of it
as issues concerning businesses only, not myself as a *user* of
the GNOME libraries, etc.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  So the
concern is real IMO.

behdad