Re: Additional questions for the board candidates

Hi,

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
So basically you guys will be responsible for being the official voice,
steering the releases, communicating with vendors and customers, GNOME
related conferences and promotion.

"You guys" being the foundation. Not necessarily the board.

How important are desktop standards for you. How will you attempt to let
the GNOME developers cooperate even more with the freedesktop.org
movement? Or do you dislike that movement? In in general: What should
GNOME "do" with fd.org?

I never like to see repeated work. It's always disappointing to me to see KDE people say that fd.o is a GNOME effort, that the standards there are imposed on them. I'm not really in a position to help change that, but I know that fd.o houses a number of efforts to encourage inter-project co-operation (like the Create project) which are desktop independent.

In fact, I dislike seeing duplicated work at the distribution level too, and I think the foundation would be a great place to consolidate some of that duplication, and make the integration job easier and cheaper for distros, and making the core desktop better in the process.

Second question:

What will you do to further enhance cooperation with the KDE developers?
Will you invite them to our conferences? Will you pay their travel
expenses? Will you let them talk on GUADEC? Will you visit their
conferences and will you do a talk about cooperation at their
conferences? Or will you simply disregard them and think GNOME is
superior yadiyada (in which case I wont vote for you, by the way)?

It's going to come from bottom-up, and from top-down.

First, as individuals, we need to avoid a them & us situation - and that means watching your tongue sometimes. I think we do OK at this at the moment.

Second, as an organisation, we need to make sure that we're talking to each other. I'd like to see GNOME talking part in the OSDWs organised by Aaron Seigo, for example. It'd be better to start working together on that kind of thing that each person organising essentially the same thing in their corner. I'd like to see KDE e.V and the GNOME Foundation co-sponsor development work that benefits both desktops. I'd like to see us applying for grants together.

I can imagine companies that would like to target the GNOME desktop,
while developing solutions for their customers, would like this type of
leadership to happen. Yet I can imagine a lot Free Software GNOME
developers dislike "any" form of "leadership". It's not a simple problem
to solve. Will the GNOME Foundation fill this gap? Or will the GNOME
Foundation create a solution? How will you, provided you become board
member, address this. Or isn't this important enough for the Board to
discuss? Or isn't it the focus of the Board?

I guess it's the board's job to make sure that some kind of leadership exists, but it's definitely not the board's place to make that kind of decision. Otherwise someone would be asking prospective board members whether they though Mono should be added to the bindings, and Beagle to the platform.

One problem we have on that particular issue is that at the moment, we don't have anyone ready to make that call, because making the obvious call will alienate at least 2 distributions supporting GNOME. But the call will need to be made soon, because in about 6 months, we're going to be in a situation where we have a de facto fork.

Because I can imagine it's going to be an important project for the
GNOME desktop and infrastructure, how will you involve yourself in the
One Laptop Per Child concept?

I'm happy that people in the GNOME project are working on the project, and I will try to keep in contact and make sure we know what's happening.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary