Re: Questions to the candidates

Questions 1, 2, 3 and 5 answered in previous mail.

> 4. Explain how you expect to meet you goals.

 * I will more effectively communicate the role and scope of the Board among
   the directors, Foundation members and Advisory Board.
 * I will encourage the adoption of an elected executive as part of the
   Foundation's constitution.
 * I will continue to evangelise and represent the GNOME community as best I
   can.

> 6. Please assess GNOME:

Tough one. Not going to do a complete SWOT analysis here, just the basics!

> 	a. What are its strengths

 * Awesome community and organisational structure
 * Excellent relationships with distributors and other organisations
 * Predictable and reliable release schedule
 * Deeply ingrained culture of attention to user experience and design
 * Universal Access - usability, accessibility, internationalisation

> 	b. What are its weaknesses

Being good enough, a little bit more secure than the competition and Free
(beer and speech) won't win the difficult 'middle sector' of the market.

> 	c. What are its opportunities

cf. Project Topaz (or really, 10x10) presentation from GUADEC 2005.

> 	d. What are its threats

The changing desktop market and vicious competitors armed to the hilt with
patents.

> 7. Name the best album you purchased in the last year.

Well, I really enjoyed Love.Angel.Music.Baby by Gwen Stefani. But the *best*
album I bought in the last year was actually one I repurchased because I
gave the original to a friend. To Hal and Bacharach (1998), a tribute album
to Hal David and Burt Bacharach by a bunch of Aussie artists and bands. It
is *awesome*. Two standout tracks:

  The Whitlams - I'll Never Fall In Love Again
  The Avalanches - Do You Know The Way To San Jose

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu USA & Europe Tour: Oct-Nov 2005            http://wiki.ubuntu.com/3BT

  "Everything I knew about TCP/IP I had downloaded the same day I started
                     hacking the net code." - Alan Cox