Re: Looking for women? - Something wrong with the numbers?

Hi Anne,
I agree that it would be great to attract more women to the GNOME
community, but I am not sure what you are proposing as the way to do so.
There was a Women in Debian talk at the Ubuntu conference which talked
about the issue in that context and also there I ended up wondering what
the exact solution was meant to be. While I accept that a macho culture
and under-appreciation of non-coding contributors is part of the picture
I do not believe it 'explains' the problem. I mean under-appreciation of
non-coding contributors is a general problem that leads to lack of such
contributions from members of both genders, and do not explain the fact
that also among such contributors there is currently mostly males for
instance (unless you want to propose a theory that men don't mind being
under-appreciated while women do mind).

Personally I think the problem in GNOME goes back to the problem the IT-
studies listed, that there are few women doing computing related studies
(and thus work) in general, and when you draw from a pool that is 90%
male (or whatever the exact number is) it is not suprising that the
sample you get is around the same percentage.
Of course there are non-coding tasks needing doing, I know as someone
not being a coder, but people with little interest in software in
general is not very likely to join a project making a desktop software
system.

If I understand you correctly you want us to figure out ways to allow
more non-coders (especially women) into the project in a way that makes
them feel like equal partners in the development. This is in theory a
good idea, but one that is very hard to implement, just figuring out how
to do the technical infrastructure to make these people able to get
involved and start working is something needing someone to come up with
some bright and new ideas. And considering how much we want new
contributors in general, and all the attempts which have been made to
accomplish it, I don't think the lack of such infrastructure comes from
lack of will.

There are cultural problems to, I guess Eugenia's treatment on desktop-
devel do showcase why women and non-coders sometimes feel the project is
not very welcoming. On the other hand I think what do motivate a lot of
coders is being able to implement their own visions through their own
work, and as such would not be very interested in contributing their
spare time if they feel the project would be about being told what do to
by others.

Personally I think that GNOME (and all other free software projects)
attracts male contributors because we are able to offer males 'rewards'
that they want. Be that peer prestige, professional skills, technical
challenges, social networks or whatever those rewards actually are.
This also makes me believe we are failing to attract women because we
have not been able to offer them the 'rewards' they want. If this theory
is correct then the solution to get more women involved is figuring out
if there are any 'rewards' we do offer but 'undersell' or 'rewards' we
do not offer, but could start offering.

I don't know what these 'rewards' need to be, a random example of an
approach would be downplaying the technical parts of the project is part
of the solution and re-branding GNOME an effort to bridge the digital
divide and help the 3rd world become computer literate is something that
maybe would increase our female appeal. The 'new reward' being doing
something for the underprivileged in the world. Of course doing such a
change might just lead to the project losing its way, countless examples
of failed attempts of re-inventing oneself.

Christian