Re: GNOME strongly supports open standards including OpenDocument Format

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

   For example, people still feel that by default GNOME should ship with
   stuff that makes it easy to encode to mp3 or rip CD's for their hardware
   devices that do not support open formats; or that GNOME should play
   DVD's.

I think there is a misunderstanding--we are not talking about those
issues, not now.  The issue at hand is encouraging governments to
switch to free formats.
Is it? What are we actually talking about?

The original referenced e-mail (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2005-November/msg00177.html) is a technical opinion on how to make open standards as useful as possible in providing cross-platform/cross-desktop integration.

While I agree that lobbying individuals and governments to use open standards (especially in their interactions with the outside world, ie. file formats and network protocols) is a laudable one, I do not feel that was the main thrust of Federico's e-mail.

I may be alone, but I feel this thread may be in need of some clarification.

Thanks,

Andrew