Minutes of the Board meeting 2005 Apr 6

[ Slightly late, I went on vacations and forgot to post the minutes, Daniel ]

     Minutes of the Board meeting 2005 Apr 6


   Owen Taylor (chairing)
   Daniel Veillard
   Jonathan Blandford
   Tim Ney
   Dave Neary
   Jody Goldberg
   Federico Mena-Quintero

   Murray Cumming
   Christian Schaller

   Luis Villa
   Miguel de Icaza

   The call took a bit longuer than usual to go over the full set of 
   items in http://live.gnome.org/Trademark
   We changed phone conferences informations at the last moment and Murray
   did not receive them in time and missed the call unfortunately.

Actions completed:

   ACTION: Daniel to send the advisory board meeting announce in a week,
           check with Tim for the updated list
      => a bit late but done


   ACTION: Tim and Dave check the travel subsities for the GUADEC speakers
      => Dave got the list, Tim mailed, most replies received,
         still ongoing, it's now a case by case basis check for cheapest rates
	 Tim got a discount for 10-20% with Lufthanza 

   ACTION: Dave to start looking for vendors to host the GNOME online shop
      => long term ACTION, ongoing
         talked to 5 companies so far

   ACTION: Murray to investigate getting a GNOME Foundation Member Logo
      => ongoing

New Action:
   ACTION: on Owen to send to send a call for participation for defining
      a privacy policy for the GNOME website

   ACTION: Federico to maintain the comments numbers on Trademark live page
      at http://live.gnome.org/Trademark


   - privacy policy for the GNOME web site
     we need to send a call for participation, Owen will do this
   - planning the advisory board meeting
     3 regrets so far unfortunately

   - discussion of comments on the Trademark
     Owen quickly numbered the items for reference, Federico will maintain them

     Note: items descriptions are more complete on-line, please refer to the
           descriptions at http://live.gnome.org/Trademark


     item 1: is a signature required
        The lawyers recommended we got explicit confirmation and said that
	click-through registration and agreement web form would be fine

     item 2: Potential problem: GNOME name trademark usage?
        The GNOME name is owned by the Foundation, the Board is elected and
	can represent the group for the usage

     item 3: the use of the GNOME trademark in a URL
        Using a GNOME domain name is something that would have to be granted
     item 4: Didn't find definition for "Licensed Works"
        It seems section 2 (f) is the definition

     item 5: can this text be translated
        It seems to make sense but the translations would have to be approved
	first, will check with our lawyers

     item 6: P 3.4 transfering domain
        Unclear, the domain names are not covered by this License, we will
	ask our lawyers about it, possibly removing that sentence.

     item 7: the authorized representative of the Group 
        The person submitting the agreement for this Licence in the name of 
	the group

     item 8: remove the signature section
        agreed relate to item 1

     item 9: Jurisdiction clause
        Section 8 (9) states:
	If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable
	under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or
	enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License,
	and without further action by the parties hereto, such provision
	shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such
	provision valid and enforceable.

       So if not valid it should not void the License but
       if enforceable then we want the contract to be interpreted in a
       place (the state of Massachusetts) where our lawyers understand
       the law.
       We will check with them anyway

     item 10: allows GNOME to hijack arbitary domains
         the solution to item 6 (removing that section) may solve this too.

     item 11: Print format includes T-Shirts (non-commercial)
         Non profit user group should be able to sell T-Shirt for their
	 operations, that should be added to section 2 (e)
	 It's such a common need that a specific wording for it makes sense,
	 Need to be checked with our lawyers

     item 12: translation again
         duplicate of 5


     item 1: suggest adding areas in which the mark is held
         Need to be checked with our lawyers

     item 2: wording to add to make it more friendly
         It does not look harmful, but
         Need to be checked with our lawyers

     item 3: paranoid defense wording
         Same as item 1 and item 2, we are not sure
	 Need to be checked with our lawyers

   - Dave overview of his talks to vendors to host the GNOME online shop
     Contacts with 5 companies at this point.

   - Next conf call in two weeks
     Luis gave potential regrets for in 2 weeks
     DV give potential regrets for in 2 weeks


Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Desktop team http://redhat.com/
veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]