Re: Anonymous Voting Referendum

On Llu, 2004-09-13 at 15:50, James Henstridge wrote:
> Usually proportional representation is used to describe a system where
> the number of seats each party gets is proportional to the number of
> people who voted for them (so if 10% of voters vote for party X, then
> party X gets 10% of the seats).
>
> Since each candidate in the foundation election is an independent and
> can win at most one seat, I don't really think proportional
> representation applies here.

If anything the EU suggests that the basic party based form is the worst
possible case for the foundation. Party lists mean that whoever is top
of the list is sure of a cushy job, whoever is bottom isn't going to.
The result of this is that nobody dares stand against their party even
when they know the party is wrong, because they will be moved down the
list next election and punished for it.

The foundation people stand and are elected for their views not their
employer so we don't want such lists IMHO.

Alan