Re: GNOME Roadmap

Hey Dave,

As promised :)

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 15:16 -0400, Dave Camp wrote:
> > There are a few things coming from Totem that should find their ways
> > into libraries though:
> > - the video widget
> > - the playlist parser (already used in Rhythmbox, but 2 different codes
> > right now)
> > - the CD device selector (that's already in nautilus-cd-burner's burning
> > library, and will be able to use HAL soon, I just need a bit of time to
> > update HAL on my home machine ;)
> > - possibly the audio CD metadata gatherer from Sound-Juicer
>
> Are you reasonably sure that these are going to be ready for 2.8?  Or
> should I put them in the "future" category?

Not the slightest idea. I hope to have at least the CD device selector
finished, and the audio CD metadata gatherer done, as they are rather
short-term goals. The big "if" is the video widget. I'd need to spend
quite a bit of time on that. Given my current hacking-rate, I'm not sure
that'll be possible.

Colin told me he'd work on the playlist parser (it was some time ago, do
you remember promising me that, Colin? :)

> > >   * Better image viewing/photo collection manipulation.
> >
> > Isn't that already something that gthumb does? There's even an "Import
> > Photos" menu item. I must admit that there could be some more work done
> > on gthumb as far as the library/browsing is concerned, but it's already
> > a very complete solution.
>
> I'll list that as a "possible solution to integrate into the release".

Paolo already has file-roller integrated in the release, having gthumb
as well would be nice.

> > > Hardware
> > > ========
> > > 2.6 Improvements
> > >    * DVD burning support in the Nautilus CD burner.
> >
> > I think this was already in GNOME 2.4, IIRC.
>
> Alrighty, removed.

(Mind you, it probably didn't work properly before...)

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the
statue.