Re: Repost: [desktop-devel-list] Guadec focus.

Hi again,

Miguel wrote:

Hello,

traditional Linux-like conference which has been centered around new developments, and instead focus on explaining our technology to newcomers.

I agree, but how does that fit in with the vision of having papers formally presented & written up & published in proceedings? Is that inconsistent? Or would proceeding containing articles like "How to embed bonobo objects in you libglade/python apps" be interesting for proceedings?

And do you mean "newcomers" in the sense of developers not familiar with the architectural framework, or users not familiar with GNOME? Should we be encouraging papers like "getting the most out of GNumeric"? How do tutorial type talks fit in with the idea of publishing papers?

     Maybe we should focus more on making GUADEC have sessions
describing technologies, and our focus should not be
paper-presentation, but trying to find people interested in doing one
hour or two hour sessions on GNOME and related technologies.
     I think that we should make GUADEC a forum where people can learn
*mostly* about existing GNOME technologies and how they can apply this
to their software, and then you can sprinkle it with researchy or
two-point-next features.

OK - so it seems you would like to move away from the idea of papers & proceedings & making the conference pseudo-academic... what kind of ways should the conference be organised, then? A papers-oriented conference gives the organisers the chance to know well in advance what's going to be presented, that the presenters are prepared, allows the organisers to split things up into tracks, have published proceedings, etc.

Typically LUGs that organise conferences which are based around presenting free software to a larger public invite people according to the aims of the conference - should we decide what kind of things we want to see presented, and invite the best person for the job to present something?

Or do we modify a "call for papers" to a "call for conferences" or "call for workshops" and continue to get abstracts, and ask people to (say) submit their slides in advance? How do you see the workshop/presentation opriented conference working from an organisational point of view?

     Some ideas for the kind of sessions I would like to see are:

<snip>

I'll add a couple more:

Bonobo components (making them, reusing others, accessing stuff like this via bindings)

Docbook XML - Writing docs with it, and an overview of the tools needed

I like the idea, I'm all for more accessible conference.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary