Re: Using Gnome Vendor
- From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus linuxrising org>
- To: Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM>
- Cc: Mike Newman <mike greatnorthern demon co uk>, foundation-list gnome org, desktop-devel-list gnome org, rms gnu org, aes gnome org
- Subject: Re: Using Gnome Vendor
- Date: 04 Apr 2003 20:10:34 +0200
On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 18:33, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2003, Mike Newman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 08:07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > > The fact that the tag is not visible to the user makes the issue
> > > less > important, but we have seen it still can cause confusion.
> > > Renaming it to > "distributor" can't hurt. This XML file is already
> > > out there in the wild, with software (including non-"GNOME official"
> > > software) already relying on it. Changing a non user visible,
> > > machine-readable XML file schema will not provide a strong enough
> > > benefit to offset the pain involved. Then again, and I hate to say
> > > it... "patches are accepted". - Jeff
> > Filed a bug, attached a patch:
> > http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109979
> > to make gnome-about understand either 'vendor' or 'distributor'.
> If people have problems with existing conventions, they should write a GEP
> to chnage it, and not merely complain about it on mailing lists.
A GEP? Seems like a rather overkill solution considering that Mike made a patch that solves
the issue without 'breaking' backwards compatability.
] [Thread Prev