[no subject]

     4. How can I obtain the STIX Fonts?

    The STIX Fonts will not be completed until some time in 2003. When they
    are complete, they will be made available through the web site of each
    of the STI Pub group of publishers, and probably other web sites as
    well. The only condition will be agreement to the terms of a license
    that protects the STIX Fonts from alteration.

So it appears the STIX fonts will have a non-free license;
if so, we cannot use them.

However, all is not yet lost.  With the help of Alexander Kirillov,
I've written to some prominent people in the AMS and IEEE in the hope
of recruiting them to bring about a change in the license.

Does any of you know any prominent mathematicians, physicists,
chemists, electrical engineers, or computer scientists who you think
might want to help this campaign?  If so, please ask them to contact
me if they would like to help.