Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 1 May 2001

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 1 May 2001


    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Miguel de Icaza
    Raph Levien
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Dan Mueth               
    John Heard              
    Owen Taylor
    Bart Decrem
    Maciej Stachowiak (:15)




    Jim Gettys


   - The board selected the Gnome-2.0 Release coordinators Martin Baulig and
     Sander Vesik, asking them to build the Release Team for Gnome-2.0 with
     the help of the others candidates
   - The GNOME Foundation membership proposal has been approved as the
     GNOME Membership Policy 1.0

Action Done:

  ACTION: Bart will follow the 'small conferences' meeting and will report in
          one month
     => Rebecca will be the Conference Master for Gnome
        She will double check that Guadec 3 can be done in Spain

  ACTION: Maciej will post to Gnome-Hacker to get people stepping in as
          Gnome-2.0 coordinator.
     => done

  ACTION: Havoc make sure that we get the 2.0 volunteers and what need to get
          done to start the release coordinator work
     => done


  ACTION: Havoc send the AB list to the board looking for completion
          of the member liasons.
     => still pending

  ACTION: John try to get a Copyright assigment form and procedure for the
          GNOME Foundation


- Fundation:

  not much to report, still some lawyer work needed.

- Release coordinators:

  Martin Baulig, Sander Vesik, George Lebl, Chris Lahey, Jonathan Blandford,
Peter Teichman and Dave Camp  expressed interest in helping with the 
GNOME 2.0 release, according to the discussions and plans that came out
of GUADEC. Also, Jody Goldberg wants to help on the office/apps part of it.

  We selected Martin Baulig and Sander Vesik to take the lead on building
a Release Team and work with the folks who volunteered to put together a
GNOME 2.0 release plan. This will include a listing of all the top-level
tasks that need to be accomplished, along with preliminary due-dates for
each of these and a full committee roster with specific responsibilities
assigned to each team member.

  We'd like to see quick progress on this, and have at least the committee
structure and responsibilities flushed out within 2 weeks.

  It is relatively clear that the work of doing the release coordination
for GNOME 2.0 will be larger than what was needed for GNOME 1.4. We hope
that Martin and Sander will be able build a strong team covering the
various tasks needed, the following ones were listed (but the list is far
from complete):
    - PR coordinator
    - documentation/QA coordinator
    - library freeze
    - porting
    - translation
    - UI freeze
- Membership policy:

  The community had many opportunities to review it. There were no negative
  feedback. So we adopt the proposal as GNOME Membership Policy 1.0

  Interesting points discussed:
    - we want the Gnome project to stay open to anybody who want to contribute
      to it
    - Opening to the ISV community is okay but people should not just use it but
      helping or contributing the project is still required to qualify.


Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network http://redhat.com/products/network/
veillard redhat com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]