Re: Questions

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If I have to derive something from the component for it to be usefull its
> > a pretty useless component...
>
> Not really.
>
> If your app can only work by using a GPL component and needs specific
> features of that component I think you'll find its regarded in law as a
> derivative work.

By which laws where? And are cars derivates of gasoline? And is gcc a
derivative of the system assembler and linker on all the platforms where
the platform-native ones are used? And then how come its licenced as GPL?

It would pose a lot of problems for a lot of presently supposedly GPL
licenced software that would suddenly need to become licenced by a number
of various system vendors, starting by DEC (now Compaq) among others for
the various parts derived (or derived from previous versions that were
derived from) various versions of the DEC operating systems and text
editors.

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding