Re: What is GNOME office?

"Tom Musgrove" <TomM pentstar com> writes:
> This brings up a question that has always lurked in the back of my mind.
> Why does the FSF etc. require copyright assignment at the time of
> contribution?  Would not the assignment be transferable at a later date if
> the need for a legal challenge arrived?

 - the legal challenge issue is that you want to have only one entity
   that was clearly damaged by the copyright violation; so you need
   one copyright holder at violation time, not challenge time
 - free software developers have a tendency to disappear and become
   impossible to contact

That's their rationale I'm sure, though this is sort of off-topic.

Havoc