Re: What is GNOME office?

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:20:54PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > I agree with Dave - I don't think using a visual editor to write
> > DocBook is a very good idea, basically - at that point there's no
> > reason to do them in DocBook, you might as well just do them in HTML
> > or RTF or native AbiWord format, and use AbiWord print and HTML export
> > to get the various output formats.
>
> Editing a DocBook document would still preserve all of the semantic
> data, and would allow for nice Docbook manipulation tools to be used,
> besides `output to HTML and RTF'.

I think that the problem here isn't a WP's ability to export a document
into different formats, but the presentation of the document.  A WP
presents the document from a presentation perspective.  This would be nice
when you edit a DSSSL and want to see the output quickly, but not when
you only want to view the semantic content.  I think that if a WP would
want to fully inplement DocBook there should be 2 views.  One showing the
semantic content and the other view showing and applying the stylesheet.
What DocBook needs now is a good exporter to PDF and PS.  Not another editor.
We have emacs and vi for that.

Eric Baudais