Re: What is GNOME office?

Martin Sevior <msevior mccubbin ph unimelb edu au> writes:
> The use of "we" in this discussion is rather misleading. Right now there
> are hackers working on GUPPI, gnumeric, Abiword, Actung,... and hackers
> working on Open Office.

When I say "we" I mean the GNOME Project. I think the GNOME Office
hackers are definitely members of that - I don't know how the Open
Office hackers see themselves, but we're happy to have them also.

> Is Gnome Office going to be a product seperate from Open Office? It seems
> to me it has to be if we are to maintain a GPL'd Office Suite.

We don't have enough information yet, I don't think. Sun may be
willing to reconsider the licensing.

Let's not make any overfast decisions; I'm thinking we definitely
shouldn't decide anything until well into next year. But I'd like to
have a board meeting on this topic in the next few weeks just to get
an initial sense from John of Sun's plans and how flexible they are.

Havoc