Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 14 November 2000

      Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 14 November 2000

Presents:
=========
    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    John Heard
    Bart Decrem
    Dan Mueth
    Jim Gettys
    Owen Taylor

Regrets:
========

    Raph Levien

Absents:
========
    Miguel de Icaza
    Federico Mena Quintero
         (both probably at COMDEX)

    Maciej Stachowiak

    John gives regrets for next week

Administrativia:
================

    We will have another meeting next week

Decisions:
==========

  - The teleconf will take place every other week except for the startup
    phase where it will be every week
  - We will meet at 2pm EST 11am Pacific sharp for one hour.
  - Havoc will chair the meeting for the next 6 months, this include
    providing a provisional agenda 2 days in advance
  - Daniel will write the minutes for the next 6 months, they will
    be sent to the fundation list 24 hours after they are sent to the board
  - The meeting will start with 10 minutes of general GNOME updates and
    followed by the agenda for 50 minutes
  - The corum is 6 persons
  - work on incoporating the GNOME Foundation has started. A legal firm
    specialized in those operations has been contacted and will provide
    us with legal documents to fill around the 20th November, this may
    be done as quickly as a couple of weeks
  - Incorporating affiliated fundations in Europe and Asia is a good idea,
    but should be carried on by local people, we hope to have a European
    Gnome Fundation within 6 months
  - We welcome new organizations to join the GNOME Fundation Advisory Board
    but they should come with a plan on how they will help the GNOME project

Work in progress:
=================

  ACTION: John will work on the phone call teleconference details

Agenda:
=======

- how will we organize agenda, minutes, etc. and run meetings

    We decided the overall form of the meetings, frequency, and time.

- status report on GNOME 1.4 from Maciej

    [Maciej having missed the call, we will need an update]

    It seems that Nautilus and the associated libraries (Bonobo, etc ...)
    being ready are the criteria for Gnome 1.4 release.
    1.4 seems likely to be late January beginning of February

- status of getting the foundation incorporated

    We will need 3 position:
    + president
    + secretary
    + treasurer
    2 can be handled by the same person.
    General discussion of the Incorporation process so far and in the future,
    a legal firm has already been contacted. Sun is helping in the process.
    We will get the paperwork on the 20th, it will take 2 person's day worth
    of work to get it done, then the registration process can be as quick as
    one week.

- current status of the Foundation

    11 funding members now
    Mandrake and Borland joined today
    Both company did want to announce that at Comdex
    Mandrake will have 1 full time Gnomer and will put GNOME on equal foot
    as KDE in the installer
    Borland wants to play a role in the KDE/GNOME integration

    I hope we will have a European GNOME fundation in Europe in
    6 months

- next meeting next week, possible agenda items:

    - update on GNOME 1.4
    - update on the incorporation
    - office suite confusion
    - policy for release plan and schedules
    - relation to standards
    - documentation and machine translatable translations
	+ getting OO to output Docbook XML
	+ general translation framework
	+ getting in touch with publishers
	+ generic documentation and platform specific parts
    - GNOME 2.0 release coordination and plans
    - web site(s)

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/