Can the non technical side fund technical stuff

In the EU I believe it can providing its stated goals include furthering
what the technical body does. Funding the technical body is tricky, helping
it achieve its ends is not

Its actually all rather complicated here. We (UK) don't have the notion of
a non-profit. I dont think we could create a UK gnome foundation as a charity
(status needed for tax reclamation) and the nearest we have to a non profit
is a company limited by guarantee which can be bent to fit the requirement
most of the time