Re: Draft of Proposal for the GNOME Foundation.

>     GNOME is Free Software
>     ----------------------
>
>        Free software  licensing has always been  a mainstay  of GNOME,
>        and we must     ensure that this   tradition  continues.    The
>        foundation must not allow any software module  to become a core
>        GNOME  component unless  it  is licensed   under the GPL,  or a
>        GPL-compatible license.  GNOME should strive  to be free, while

So you wont be using the bonobo mozilla component idea any more ?

>     Public Image and Voice
>     -----------------------
>
>        The foundation will be the sole entity with the ability to make
>        official  public statements for GNOME,  such as press releases.

Whuich foundation the US one or the european one ?

>        The foundation will   also be responsible for   maintaining the
>        "GNOME brand," and will have  to determine the appropriate uses
>        of  the   associated trademarks    (which   will  need    to be

Probably too late. Also if you think about it you cant do much with a trademark
on a GPL project since any attempt to stop people using it for anything
Gnome related whether you like it or not would seem to violate GPL
'no additional restriction' things. Fun isnt it. The GPL is a trademark
policeman by magic.

>        Companies  and  non-corporate groups  which want to communicate
>        with the GNOME project should be able to  use the foundation as
>        a their  first  point  of   contact.  The   foundation  will be
>        responsible for   helping  these  organizations understand  the
>        GNOME project and become    involved.  The foundation will   be
>        vested with     the power   to     represent GNOME   in   these
>        conversations.
>
>        The foundation will also act as a forum for discussions between
>        the   organizations and companies which   have  an interest  in
>        GNOME.  There will be  a subgroup of  the foundation which will
>        include members from these organizations to make this possible.

Good - this bit is excellent.

>        Eventually, as GNOME matures, it  will become necessary to have
>        an official set of standards which define GNOME compliance, for
>        ISVs and for distributors.  The  foundation will be responsible
>        for ratifying  these standards, and authorizing the application
>        of the GNOME trademark to them.

You need them for 2.0, you needed them for 1.2 in truth.

> II. Basic Structure and Operation of the Foundation
>
>   The foundation will be a  virtual global entity, represented for the
>   purposes of funds  disbursement   in  many countries.  The     GNOME
>   foundation is divided into three bodies: the General Membership, the
>   Board of Directors,  and the Organizational  Forum  (Yeah, the names
>   are a bit corny.  Suggestions welcome.).

I suppose "them" "us" and "red tape" is out :)

>     The general   membership will have two  responsibilities: electing
>     and deposing  members  of  the  Board of  Directors,  and  issuing
>     popular  referenda   on any issue  under   the jurisdiction of the
>     foundation, at any time (hopefully an infrequent event).

Make this hard or it'll turn into debian discuss

>   Board of Directors
>   ------------------
>
>     The  board is  the  primary   decision-making  body of   the GNOME
>     foundation.    It is responsible for   ratifying all decisions the
>     GNOME   foundation makes.  These  decisions    can, of course,  be
>     overturned by referendum.

[Need a statement of what happens if a referendum requires the board act
 in a manner inconsistent with applicable law]

>     Miguel will be the chairman and will preside  over all meetings of
                         ^^ Initial

>     the  board, unless he  is declared legally  insane and  "fit to be
>     tied" by the UN or the Pope.

(or a referendum)

>     majority of the  board seats, regardless  of election results.  In
>     the  event that a corporation or  organization holds a majority of
>     the seats,  directors from that   corporation will be  required to
>     resign until a majority is no longer held.

[What happens if people simply keep re-electing everyone from the same
company]

>   may be formed to  propose a release  schedule, a press release, or a
>   standards specification.  The board will vote on the approval of any
>   such measure.

[within timescale, appeal]

>     This can  be  cryptographically authenticated  with  a registry of
>     public   keys.   A simple majority   is   required to  approve any
>     measure.

(Traditionally your base constitution requires 2/3rds majority so that its
 hard to change the fundamental house rules)

>     In order for a referendum  to pass, 1/3rd  of the total membership
>     must  participate, and 2/3rds   of the participating members  must

Can you even define or count the membership

>   If a new module is being included in a release, all its contributors
>   have the option to become part of the General Membership.

Define contributor = does linking count, advice, documentation etc..

>   Membership.  Because GNOME is a widely dispersed project, it will be
>   important to  allow people to  specify a specific recipient  for the
>   money.

[Study the legal issues - they are fun]

>     2. How do we determine the size of  the board?  Does it make sense
>        to expand this thing with    the project?  To some extent,   it

Simple. It has to be less than 7 people. If you dont understand why read
a good book on how people work in groups 8)

>        Does democracy work?  Are we going to get gerrymandered?

No, maybe

>     5. How does standards  definition *really* work?  This is going to
>        be really important some day, and  someone should be cogitating
>        on it.

I suggest Dan Quinlann is pinged for input here.

>     7. Can we  really  expect to use a  system of  non-enforcement and
>        *still* maintain a legally defensible  trademark?  Ok, this  is
>        getting marginal...

Ask a lawyer. Basically you have to defend it, but that doesnt preclude it
having a very wide definition of valid use. The GPL has impacts too.

Alan