gnome foundation: some key issues to discuss.

Hi everyone,

To facilitate our discussion, I have identified 4 issues about which I'd
love to get feedback:

1) Reach consensus on the mission of the Foundation.  Havoc's summary, and
my summary from the San Diego meeting, include a proposed mission.  We need
to make sure there's rough consensus around that.  Your opinion?

2) What's all this about modules?  In the Apache model, there's an Apache
Foundation and then 5 or so autonomous projects, such as the HTTP server
project.  The foundation's only power is that they can decide whether a
project is still a part of the foundation.  So similarly, there are
currently a ton of projects under the broad Gnome umbrella.  These projects
are and will remain fully autonomous: the Gnome Foundation doesn't have any
power to tell those groups what to do, but surely the Foundation will
identify an overall direction for Gnome and communicate with maintainers of
packages to get their support in pursuing that direction.  So the question
is: do we want to keep today's structure with tons of projects, some really
modest, some pretty big, or do we want to somehow group projects into
modules? My personal opinion is that today's structure seems to work
reasonably well, so I don't see the need for intermediate groupings into
modules, but I think others feel differently.

3) Elections: do we want to have elections for the board of directors of the
Gnome foundation?  If so, how do we decide who gets to vote?  I think
there's rough consensus that all active Gnome hackers and a number of
non-hacker contributors to Gnome should get to vote, but there'll be some
problems at the edges: what about a package maintainer who hasn't done much
lately; or what about someone like me, who's not a hacker and has a
corporate affiliation?  So we need a system to address that.  The question
of whether to have elections at all is a more interesting one, in my
opinion: we may want to have a finely balanced group of people representing
different geographic areas, some corporate affilitions, the major
technologies of Gnome.  Chances are, an open election may not generate the
perfect group, and some people who'd be really terrific for a board may not
wish to go through an election process.  My current thinking is that it may
be better to have indirect elections, such as: the Gnome community votes up
or down on a proposed slate (and if a slate gets voted down, we have some
plan B process),   Jim Gettys suggested we look at the IETF's nominating
process (I have asked him to explain it to us in greater detail).

4) Geography: the Gnome community is a very cosmopolitan one, and a lot of
people want to make sure it doesn't become dominated by one geographic zone
(ie. the US).   On the other hand, the Gnome 'industry', at least for now,
seems to be mostly in the US and there are a number of major industry
leaders who are getting ready to embrace Gnome, and they need a US legal
entity that provides them shelter from US antitrust laws (for
example: Oracle and Informix can't go sit in a smoke filled room and talk
about how to develop the market for database software - that would be an
antitrust violation).  There is really no international legal entity (except
for a few UN chartered organizations).  So I think we need to create a
foundation that's incorporated in the US.  But I think the board of the
foundation should be representative of the entire Gnome community.  And I
also think it's a good thing to have affiliated organizations around the
world, such as the Gnome Foundation Europe.  But I think at the end of the
day, we do need a place that can speak with authority on behalf of Gnome,
and I think this foundation should be that place.  Your thoughts?

There are also a ton of logistical issues to figure out, such as drafting
the bylaws for the foundation, but happily the Collab.net folks are working
on that.

The goal of all this:
To reach rough consensus about how the foundation should operate and to be
able to announce it to the world on August 15, at LWE.

Bart