Re: layers of abstraction, and how GNOME can win

To do what Mr. Behlendorf suggested, GNOME needs to have attractive API, and to
the majority of GUI developers out there this often means C++ API, powerful C++
library that provides native access to GNOME foundations like gtk+, Bonobo,
Orbit, gnome-libs, etc.  Today there is just one (?) person working on gnome--,
and no one is working on Inti.  (Other C++ APIs for gtk+ do not support GNOME).

The lack of mature C++ API is a negative factor for GNOME to gain mindshare
when invading Win32 land.  Imagine the Windows programmers out there using
MFC.  It is very difficult to them to go back to program in C with Win32 APIs,
or the GNOME C APIs for that matter. GNOME needs to satisfy the needs of C++
people in order to compete with the Microsoft platform.

(I am not trying to start a debate on C vs. C++.  I am just saying many people
out there use C++ for GUIs, esp. on non-GNU or non-Unix platforms, and GNOME
needs to woo them.  It is worth noting that AbiWord and Mozilla and
OpenOffice/StarView are all in C++.)