Re: Membership dues [ was: Re: Advisory Board Letter ]

Mike Kestner wrote:

> Why does this have to be decided now?  Why cannot an elected board of
> directors make such a decision later?  Why not a referendum?  Are these
> not more acceptable means of getting a consensus in the context of the
> foundation we are trying to describe? Is the funding need that immediate
> and pressing?

Mike: I'm eager to have at least a temporary outcome to this discussion because I
am working with attorneys from a number of companies and they are reviewing
memoranda of understanding etc, so we have to tell them how much we're expecting
them to pay.  So I'm telling them $10,000 and they're saying "sure, no problem".
If we decide later that we don't want their money, we can just not cash their
checks.  That's a lot easier than getting an MOU through legal now and then
changing the terms in a few months.  I'm sorry about the process hiccups.  One of
the exciting things about the foundation is that it will provide a clearer
structure to resolve some of these issues.

> Actually, that sounds like a donation, so maybe you and I are closer to
> agreeing than it appears at first glance.

I think you're right.  I've been working with most of the companies who are
planning on joining the advisory board and we haven't scared anyone away yet.  I
think this will work out just fine in practice.

> Mike

Bart