Re: [fdn-ann] second press release, draft 2

All,
I've made some edits to this draft below in bold, but I'm also wondering if

it's too late to approve this release for Tuesday by all the parties
mentioned and included, I'm assuming many of the east coasters are
traveling Monday. The options may be to get sign off at our press
conference rehearsal, but I think that may be pushing it.
Greg|

Bart Decrem wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Here's a second draft of the press release describing the new technology
>
> contributions that are going to be announced on Tuesday.  This document
> is in flux and we welcome your feedback.    Also, if your company is
> included in the release, please review the section(s) attributed to it
> and let me know what needs to be changed.
>
> Bart
>
> -----
>
> THE GNOME COMMUNITY AND INDUSTRY LEADERS JOIN FORCES TO DELIVER ENHANCED
>
> USER ENVIRONMENT FOR PCs, WORKSTATIONS AND NEW INTERNET ACCESS DEVICES
>
> LinuxWorld Expo, San Jose, CA -- August 15, 2000 -- The GNOME project,
> the precursor to the GNOME Foundation Board, today announced five major
> initiatives aimed at delivering an industry-wide open user environment.
> These initiatives are:
> - To establish the GNOME user environment as the unifying desktop for
> the

LINUX AND UNIX COMMUNITIES

> Unix community.
> - Integration of the OpenOffice.org productivity applications with the
> GNOME Office project.
> - Integration of the Mozilla browser technology into GNOME.
> [--> need commitment from AOL in order to keep this]
> - Industry leaders to work together to improve the quality, reliability
> and accessibility of the GNOME user environment around the world.
> - Establishment of the GNOME framework as the standard for next
> generation Internet access devices.

NEED SOMETHING HERE ABOUT THE CURRENT SUCCESS OF THE GNOME PROJECT - COULD
INCLUDE THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE SECOND PARAGRAPH BELOW, THEN GO ON TO SAY
GNOME HAS ADDED SUPPORT OF MAJOR INDUSTRY PLAYERS...

> "GNOME is receiving a tremendous boost in terms of support, backing and
> commitment for contribution and improvements.  GNOME is now well
> positioned to be the next generation user environment, uniting the
> existing Linux and Unix communities," said Miguel de Icaza, founder of
> the GNOME project.  "We are building an alternative environment based on
>
> open source technology and open principles.  By leveraging other open
> technologies we are able to maintain our focus on making the most
> attractive development environment."
>
> GNOME has achieved significant acceptance from the Linux and Unix
> communities.  Sun is announcing its adoption of GNOME as the the future
> default user environment for Solaris.  The GNOME user environment is the
>
> default for Red Hat, TurboLinux and several other leading Linux
> distributions and is available for all major Linux distributions.  As a
> result, this initiative will unify many variations of Unix under a
> single user environment.  It creates a cost-effective framework based on
>
> open standard

OPEN STANDARDS

> and open source that will enable developers to write
> solutions for many different platforms, while competing on
> implementations.
>
> "The advent of a single user environment will provide enormous benefits
> to developers, end users and the industry as a whole," said XXX
> (analyst).  "By reducing development, deployment and training costs this
>
> project will create a competitive, open standards based alternative."
>
> Based on StarOffice, an alternative competitive office productivity
> suite available on multiple platforms and the leading productivity suite
>
> for Linux, OpenOffice.org is the industry initiative to deliver open
> office productivity applications, including the definition of XML-based
> file formats and specifications of open office APIs.  Sun will
> contribute OpenOffice.org technologies to GNOME.   OpenOffice.org will
> leverage the GNOME component model to create a number of object
> components, allowing these components to be used by a wide range of
> applications. Together with the Evolution and Nautilus,

NEED A DEFINITION FOR EVOLUTION AND NAUTILUS HERE.

> these
> technologies will help to provide a more user friendly environment for
> GNOME.
>
> The Mozilla project is an industry initiative to deliver an open
> Internet browser.  Mozilla browser technology will be integrated into
> GNOME to deliver an integrated browsing experience into its next
> generation user environment.  GNOME will also be leveraging its
> component model for Mozilla techonology.
> [--> Need commitment from AOL in order to keep this]
>
> Compaq will provide GNOME-based applications on its handheld devices as
> well as assisting developers through the handhelds.org community and the
>
> GNOME Foundation.

NEED MORE INFO ON THIS IF IT WILL BE HERE.