Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 26 June 2001

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 26 June 2001

Presents:
=========

    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Miguel de Icaza
    Bart Decrem
    Dan Mueth
    Raph Levien
    Owen Taylor
    Jim Gettys

Regrets:
========

    Federico
    Maciej Stachowiak
    John Heard (regrets)

Decisions:
==========

   - Communication is really important for some of the key part of
     the project and can only help the project overall. There is an
     inherent responsibility of a project maintainer to ensure that
     the people concerned by their work are informed of the direction.

Done stuff:
===========

  ACTION: Havoc to check with Martin and Sander on the Gnome-2.0 roadmap
    => let's say it's done :-)

  ACTION: Havoc take the action to send a mail on Gnotice about fostering
          the GNOME-2.0 work
    => let's say it's done :-)

  ACTION: Federico to draft policies for @gnome.org email aliases,
          CVS access, and FTP access.
    => done, sent, about to discuss it

New Action:
===========

  ACTION: Havoc to invite Sander and Martin

  ACTION: Dan to mail Christian about asking the managers of the
          various projects for updates and links to important threads
          in the mail archives.

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Dan to work with Membership Committee to re-open the membership list.
    => still pending

  ACTION: Havoc send the AB list to the board looking for completion
          of the member liasons.
    => still pending

  ACTION: John try to get a Copyright assigment form and procedure for the
          GNOME Foundation
    => still pending waiting on the FSF

  ACTION: Maciej to email the Board the current draft of the platform
          license policy for review.
    => still pending

===========

 - Sander sent us a status update on GNOME 2
   Seems Gnome-2.0 work has started seriously now, progresses are made.
   Post mortem analysis of last weeks flamefest, we must improve our
   communication !

 - putting together a proposal to hire an program manager

 - discuss proposed RFP procedure (no decisions planned)

   We need more communication and know where projects are heading.
   Getting weekly status reports from the main projects sounds
   a good way to improve this. This could inlcude links to important
   threads in the mailing lists.
   We would need the equivalent of weekly seminars where a project
   is presented, how can this be done ? Features articles on
   developpers.gnome.org ?
   The communication is really crucial for those project affecting the
   core and potentially everybody.

   The member of the board present unanimously agreed that a mechanism
   along the line of the proposed RFP procedure is a good idea. Discussion
   will be fostered in the foundation list.

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com