Re: Diareses not centered

Martin Waldburger (waldburger ifi unizh ch) wrote:
> Simon Budig schrieb:
> > My guess is, that the difference is due to the hinting, maybe the
> > freetypes involved use different hinters.
>
> thanks for your answer! Deactivating hinting in the fonts config menu of
> gnome helps a bit, however as far as I can see, it does not remove the
> effect -- it just makes it less visible as fonts become more blurry by
> which non-centered alignment of diareses gets less apparent. Do you have
> by any chance another idea how to fix this?

Sorry, nope. You might want to fiddle with the various hinters, freetype
also provides an autohinter which might give different results.

I am not a fan of hinting. Personally I have a 125 dpi display and this
usually is sharp enough for me. Especially for big font sizes hinting
IMHO does not make any sense, and it distorts small letters sometimes
brutally. As an font-freak I don't like this at all.

But well, opinions obviously differ on that. Pick your posion  :-)

Bye,
        Simon

--
              simon budig de              http://simon.budig.de/