Re: weird representation for FFFD

Simos Xenitellis wrote:
Στις 27/Ιούν/2005, ημέρα Δευτέρα και ώρα 14:33, ο/η P draigBrady com
έγραψε:

On my fedora core 3 gnome desktop,
I get a weird representation for U+FFFD.
Here's what it looks like for you [�].

It's the "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER", and according
to the following should be question mark enclosed
in a solid diamond: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFFF0.pdf
I've been told that this is also the representation
on windows and OSX.

However I'm getting a weird comma like thing, which
Markus Kuhn _has_ made reference to here I think:
http://www.w3.org/2001/06/utf-8-wrong/UTF-8-test.html
In the gnome charmap applet it seems to be the nimbus
and schoolbook (sans and serif) fallback fonts that have
this weird representation. The (Misc) Fixed fonts
do have the question mark as expected.

So why this weird representation?
I'm writing an app where I would like to display
characters that are invalid in the current encoding,
and the comma like thing it totally confusing for users.

Hi,
On my system (FC2), gucharmap says it's FreeSans.
Doesn't FC3 have FreeSans/FreeSerif/FreeMono?

Right so bitstream-vera doesn't even have the FFFD char,
and the fallback nimbus has this weird comma like thing.

I don't think freefont is part of fedora.
I installed FreeSans manually and it has a
beautiful question mark respresentation as described above.
But that's not going to work for my app unless I
install a font with it, but I really don't want to
start that messing.

Ubuntu and other distributions come with "freefont" by default, covering
a good range of the Unicode space.
If FC4 does not install by default freefont, you should file a bug
report.

Right, I'mm cc'ing fedora-devel as I've found no bugs
mentioning dejavu or freefont etc.
Extending bitstream was mentioned in this thread:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-December/msg00830.html
Perhaps making freefont the default might be a better approach?

What do people think?

--
Pádraig Brady - http://www.pixelbeat.org