Re: How to get support for Thai into Vera?

Hi James,

Today at 10:58, James Clark wrote:

> Does anybody have a contact in Bitstream who I could talk to about
> this?  Is it possible to get this done by a third-party? I would very
> much want to get the additions folded back into the official Vera
> distribution.

I'm sorry to say that I'm unable to help you, but I know that any
similar requests have ended up in a void, without anyone ever picking
them up.

Even simple changes such as copying ETH to Dcroat (which are exactly
the same glyphs, the latter enabling usage of Serbian Latin and
Croatian languages) have never been done.  Everybody else seems to go
the route of using rights license gives them: fork and rename.

Some of the projects (http://DejaVu.sf.net/) aim to merge these
efforts, but the quality (especially of hinting, which you seem to be
particularly interested in) will probably be far from perfect.

Currently, FreeType autohinting (with bytecode interpreter off) works
excellent for me on LCD (read: sub-pixel rendering) for my Cyrillic
additions, so I didn't bother with it yet.

So, I'm sorry to say that I doubt your luck, but I certainly hope
you'll have much more success than anybody else has so far (design
description was supposed to be published long time ago).

Cheers,
Danilo