Re: Missing U+0110 glyph in Vera fonts

Zdravo Hrvoje,

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic iskon hr> writes:

> The glyph for the Unicode code point U+0110 (Latin capital letter D
> with stroke) seems to be missing from the Vera family of fonts.  This
> omission makes the Vera fonts unsuitable for the Croatian and Bosnian
> locales, where this character is in use.
>
> However, the glyph for U+0110 is identical as the glyph for U+00D0
> (Latin capital letter ETH), which is present in Vera.  This means that
> making Vera usable for Croatian does not entail drawing new glyphs,
> just assigning the glyph used for ETH to be used for DSTROKE as well.
>
> Is there a possibility for the U+0110 code point to be assigned a
> glyph in a future release of the Vera font family?

I've added that glyph as well to my modification of Vera fonts (and
I named them "Bepa", because I added cyrillic as well :).

Unfortunately, I didn't go as far as to finish Serif and Mono
typefaces yet, but I hope you can already use fonts from
http://kvota.net/fonts/ (only Sans typefaces provided).

They look best for me if I use at least FreeType 2.1.4 for rendering,
with bytecode interpreter disabled (therefore, making use of
autohinting in FreeType).

There's another effort by Dafydd Harries who extends Vera fonts with
other glyphs, and we're currently considering merging our efforts:
http://muse.19inch.net/~daf/olwen/

As for your request, my guess is that this glyph will be added in
the future into official Bitstream Vera, just nobody seems to respond
to the questions of how soon might that be.

Cheers,
Danilo