Re: [Xorg] Re: [Fontconfig] adding/distributing new fonts

Hi Danilo,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:55:48AM +0200, Danilo Segan wrote:

> Hi Edward,

[...]

> There're many excellent free fonts.  You can start with
> URW-CYR (35 faces), Computer Modern Unicode (CM Unicode,
> another couple of dozen faces, all based on Knuth's
> magnificient Computer Modern family of typefaces ;), Bitstream
> Vera, ... There're other free fonts for non-Latin/Cyrillic
> based scripts, but I don't know much about them (except that
> they exist :).

Edward was certainly referring to free CJK fonts. Free CJK fonts
are indeed still relatively rare.  It is still impossible to
find a complete set of roman (Ming/Mingcho/Sung), italic (Kai),
and sans-serif (Gothic/Hei) fonts with regular and bold weights
(and also oblique/"italic" in the case of sans-serif), for
example.

Decorative and script faces are also difficult to find in general,
though Dr Wang's fonts have improved the situation for Chinese a
lot.  Fonts are somewhat easier to find in Japanese, but a lot
are non-free (in the free software sense of free).

With the lack of bold fonts in general, it would be good to
revive the tradition of using sans-serif fonts as bold, but it
is almost impossible to configure fontconfig or modern word
processors etc. to substitute sans-serif for bold :-(

Best regards,
--
黎爵榮  <a c li ieee org>  http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/