Re: criticism and suggestions

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 18:01 -0600, Larry Ewing wrote:

How slow is this for you? It is very fast for me [2].  I use it all the
time as I page quickly though images.  That said, loading a large jpeg
is not particularly fast, f-spot trades off being very responsive for
taking a little bit longer and that same code also allows you to see a
raw file in a reduced resolution form long before it can be rendered.
As to why it doesn't do the same thing as the slideshow, that view is a
full featured view, more abilities will be showing up there, don't think
of it as a glorified slideshow.

If the current loading code is really too annoying to stand for you, I'd
be happy to look at a patch that added precaching to those images.
Something that stored the next and previous images and only fell back to
the progressive loading would be a good way to handle the perception
issue (at the cost what could be a lot of memory).
I just saw Nat's f-spot demo at Brainshare, he was paging through some images and it was really fast. I don't think my f-spot is that fast, much slower if I you ask me. Not sure what resolution are the images in though.

--
Arif Lukito <maxima mlist gmail com>