Re: Importing tagged photos does not assign tags to photos!

On Ti, 2006-07-04, 08:05, Dotan Cohen skrev:
> Now that I've got F-spot compiled, we have a problem actually
> importing the tags!
>
> Three problems:
> 1) Imported tags are not assigned to photos. Example: I add tags to a
> photo in F-spot, then remove the photo from the ~/Photos directory and
> remove it from within F-spot. I also delete the tags from the tags
> list. I then close and reopen F-spot. I browse to the photo and import
> it. The photo is imported, and it's tags are imported (newly
> recreated). However, the tags are not assigned to the photo! I must
> manually assign each tag to the photo.

This looks weird.
Which patch did you end up using? Warrens or mine?
When I created my patch I verified the below:
1) Imported a few thousand of my old photos, previously tagged with
iViewMedia Pro. And it tagged the photos nicely.
2) Imported a photo to F-Spot, tagged it, put a description on it, deleted
the photo and tags from F-Spot, and re-imported it, and voila that
tags/photo were imported and re-attached to each other.

> 2) If I do the same procedure with Hebrew tags, of course I get the
> same result. However, instead of the newly created tag being in
> Hebrew, it is in a string of characters. For instance, my name (×?×?ת×?)
> is restored like this: \u05D3\u05D5\u05EA\u05DF

Perhaps an issue with the character set. I have not tried with Hebrew tags :)

> 3) Only the last tag in a heiarchy is restored. So People->Family->Ety
> is recreated as Ety. I do understand the technical reason behind this,
> and I don't need the issue addressed, however I felt it right to
> report it.

Unfortunately, F-Spot only stores the actual tag on the photo, so in above
case, Ety will be stored on the Photo. (Unless you have also attached the
People/Family tags to the photo as well)
There is a discussion ongoing on storing the tags with its parents, so a
complete restore of the tag hierarchy could be done when importing the
photos, but so far no concensus yet.

> If a script can be created that goes through the tags and replaces,
> for instance, all instances of "\u05d0" with "×?" then I could run that
> script. I can create an array with all the Hebrew letters and another
> with their corrosponding values.

Should be possible to do with SQLite. You have the database in
~/.gnome2/f-spot/photos.db but it might be a bit tricky. You need to be
comfortable with SQL to do it.

> Any help in resolving the first two issues would be very much
> appreciated. I know you guys have already put a lot of effort into
> helping me get F-spot running, and that effort was also appreciated.
> We're almost there...

Could you send me a sample photo with some XMP tags embedded in it. Or to
the list if the photo is not to big.
I can have a look at it a bit later tonight (9 hours or so from now)

/Bengt

p.s.
Do remember to send all mails to the list for archive purposes as well as
more people might be able to help out.