Re: Move Pictures or Set Folder Preferences

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 02:20 -0500, Andy Choens wrote:
> OK,
>
> If I'm missing something really obvious, I would appreciate it if
> someone pointed this out to me.  But, here goes.  I am using F-Spot
> 0.1.3 on Breezy Badger.  I like it a lot.  Before using F-Spot I had a
> bunch of photos stored in a file hierarchy that looks like
> ~/Media/Photos/.........  This is not what F-Spot wants to use, and I
> can't find any way of changing this behavior.  This is fine, my photos
> can be in ~/Photos.  Not problem.  But, I would like to move my
> existing photos to ~/Photo, WITHOUT losing any of my tags and
> metadata.
>
> I can't figure out how to do this.  I really don't want to go through
> all of them again and redo it.  It took several days the first time.
> F-Spot crapped out a few times, but over-all performed VERY well for
> this young of an app.
>
> If I can't move the files and keep the metadata, then I would like to
> change where F-Spot wants to save the new photos and I'll just keep my
> existing file hierarchy.  Either way, I don't care.
>
> I am going to spend a few minutes looking at the photos.db
> in .gnome2/f-spot to see if I can just do it in the database directly.
> I've never used a sqlite database directly, but it can't be too hard.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.  I'm willing to use the CLI, write a
> script, etc. to accomplish this.  I'm just not sure where to start.

Hi Andy,

I had the same problem and wrote a horrible PHP* shell script to do it
(attached). Be sure to fix the paths in the script.

It did the job fine for me, but that doesn't mean it will do so for you,
so be sure to backup first :-).

If you're having trouble to get it running, you need the following steps
(Ubuntu, YMMV):

$ sudo apt-get install php5-cli php5-sqlite php-pear
$ sudo pear install DB
$ php fspotdb.php

Obviously, this is not the step every user should take, but if you want
to migrate you pictures now, it's a quick start.

Kind Regards,
   Ruben

* Yes, I know PHP is a horrible choice for shells scripts, but given
that I mostly wrote PHP the last months, it was the obvious choice for
me.

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.Lambda1.be/