Bug 329841 - Also modify old directory names?

Gabriel added this comment to my small patch:
----
The only problem with this patch is that if the user imports new photos from
the same month/day as they already have, then there will be both a 1 and a 01
for instance.  So really the fix is more complicated - we need to move the
old
directories and update that in the database.
----

I agree with his comment, but am not certain of the best way to fix this.

What is the concensus of implementing an patch which also updates the
database? How to ensure it only runs once, and not to slow down everything
in the future?

/bengt

--
Bengt Thuree   bengt thuree com    www.thuree.com/bt