Re: F-Spot mission statement

Ben Monnahan wrote:

If expert functions *HAD* to have a negative impact on user-friendlyness it wouldn't be worth including the statement because it would never pass the test. :) That statement is all about wanting to add expert features, but not at the expense of making it overly complex for the common user. I like features too. It's really about making basic usability the top priority.

The statement as it originally wrote sounded like we will compromise expert usage for ease-of-use. I really disagree with that. I think stating explicitly that ease-of-use is a focus is great!

I've worked on designing a number of commercial UIs, and I never came across a situation where you couldn't come up with a UI that was both easy to use, and provided all of the functionality that expert users need.

    I really believe that f-spot needs to target both naive *AND* expert
users.

Wherever possible I agree. But sometimes they may be at odds and I think its best to make it clear where the priorities are.

As I said above - I don't really think they are at odds. I totally agree that it has to be easy to use for both naive *and* expert users. Starting with the explicit statement that we will sacrifice expert users will colour the choices we make all along the line.

    I also agree with John that shorter is better than longer.   I don't
think words like 'standards' really need to be in a mission statement.

I personally like it in there because although its something we probably all already agree on, its something I'd like to have written just to make it clear unless there was a disagreement in the future. I wouldn't fight too much having it removed though, since I'm guessing most people already take it as a given.

well - it's part of ease of use. Playing well with other programs is implicit in 'ease of use' (IMHO anyways).

>    F-Spot helps you manage your digital photos in a powerful yet
>    highly-intuitive way.  It provides easy ways to perform common tasks
>    like finding a certain photo or photos quickly, organizing photos via
>    tags, doing minor touchups, and sharing photos with friends and family.

I'd be OK with this, but it seems a bit weak for my taste. It sounds more like a marketing campaign than a policy document.

I thought mission statements *were* more like marketing campaigns!  :-)

On a second reading, I think what's missing is more details on the high end / expert usage... If I have time before the meeting this aft, I will try to draft something...

I guess I like the part about prefering ease of use over expert features. (Again, not necessarily at the expense of expert features, as you pointed out they don't always need to contradict each other)

Hmm. As I said, I personally prefer both. But to be honest, if I had to choose, would choose expert features *over* ease of use... My primary motivation for getting involved in this project is really kinda greedy - I want to build the best photo management solution *for me*! :-) But I'm also a fan of ease of use...

Personally, I'd like to see something in the mission statement like "Appealing to both casual and professional photographers".

The workflow required by a pro or semi-pro photographer is really quite different from a casual user. I'm not quite in this category yet - but I hope to be in a year or two.

I really *hope* that we are as interested in appealing to the pro/semi pro photographer as the casual user...

Warren: Hope to see you at the meeting tonight to discuss this in real time. I don't actually think our positions are that far apart.

I'll do what I can... as always, I'm limited by work - at the moment I'm free at that time, but who knows...

Warren