Re: Searching Bis

Thomas Van Machelen wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 19:57 +0200, Thomas Van Machelen wrote:
Dear all,

In attachment you can find a patch against the F_SPOT_QUERY branch of
f-spot.  It allows you to search for photos based on their tags.  The
search bar can be accessed by pressing 'f' in the main window.

Hi,

Please find a slightly improved version of the same patch in attachment.

Hi Thomas,

I really like the idea of your patch... I've got a fairly large tag tree, and it's sometimes hard to find the tag I'm looking for.

However, it looks to me like your patch doesn't deal well with tags whose names have spaces in them --- A lot of my tags are of the form "<firstname> <lastname>", and I can't get search to work on them, or any other tags with spaces in them.

It's very tough to solve this generally (I can always have tags "A", "B", and "A B") - but I think you'd come pretty close if you only consider " " to be "AND" if the tokens immediately to it's left and right are valid tag names. In my case I have a tag "Very Good" (since I haven't implemented a rating system yet) and a tag "McPhail Cove" - I'd want the string "Very Good McPhail Cove" to resolve to "Very Good" AND "McPhail Cove"

Would it be possible to add some kind of explicit grouping? I'd love to be to do something like: "Fred and (good or great)" which I can't figure out how to do with the current query tools...

Another thing to consider would be moving the 'Find' text pane up to the existing "Find" bar that appears above the picture when doing a find through the menu --- conceptually the two are related...

Warren