Re: Accelerometer support, v0.

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 13:30 -0400, Nat Friedman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This weekend on the train I was playing with the accelerometer on my
> ThinkPad, and with F-Spot.  The result is the attached patch, which
> autorotates the displayed picture when you tilt your laptop.
>
> This is handy if you're showing pictures on your computer and you
> encounter a portrait-orientation photo amidst many landscape photos;
> simply tilt the computer and the picture tilts with it, using the entire
> available screen space.  It's a great demo, too :-).
>
> After building with this patch, on OpenSUSE simply run
>
>         # modprobe hdaps
>
> And then launch f-spot.  It should work from the regular image view or
> the full-screen view.
>
> Known issues:
>
> - The rotate is a bit slow and weird.  I'm not sure why.  I'm hoping
> someone else on this list will figure this out.

I have a fix for the thumbnail issue in my tree.  The speed thing I
haven't had time to track down completely, I know at least one thing
that could be a problem and also suspect that we may be causing some
extraneous notification that needs to be short circuited.  As soon as I
have a few free minutes I'll look into it again.

> - The hdaps driver doesn't work on all ThinkPads, it seems.  Not sure
> what the supported list is like.
>
> Thanks to Larry who explained how to do some of this on the cell phone
> from the train :-).

Here at Novell we're known for our excellent support.

--Larry