Re: Updated patch for Detecting Duplicates in F-Spot

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 20:56 +0200, Mattias Holmlund wrote:
> One problem is if exif-editing is implemented in f-spot. Take for
> example the Edit-Time function. Upon import, the user is given the
> opportunity to correct the timestamp of the image. If we decide to
> write the new timestamp to the exif-information, then both the
> Exif-information and the md5sum of the image is changed before it is
> stored in the archive.

I don't see that as being a problem - when the file changes (due to EXIF
changes, image rotation, etc) then it should just trigger a recompute of
the MD5.  Am I missing something?

If you're talking about catching duplicates when importing, then do the
duplicate-detection with the MD5 taken from before any import-related
changes take place. After you've seen it's not a dupe, you can change it
as needed (eg update the date/time or something) and recompute the MD5,
storing that one. That does mean two MD5 computations for each image,
but we're talking about rolling two operations (import and batch modify)
into one, so I think it's fair, and sane. Plus, many people aren't going
to modify their images at import-time (nobody will right now b/c they
can't).

My point is that whenever the image is modified, we should recompute the
MD5 and store it in the Db.

Gabriel