Re: [Evolution-hackers] The fixes11 mmap patch doesn't respect data alignment on some architectures

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 17:15 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> ah, you're going to have to pad strings and possibly other stuff.

The pstrings themselves and the 7bit encoded unsigned 32 integer bytes.
Since data padding on ARM is 4 bytes (32bit), unsigned int32 will be
aligned correctly? So the header, references and extra information per
provider is mostly going to work out fine. But for example the count in
front of the references, the length-bytes of pstrings, the pstrings
themselves and two or three other 7bit count bytes aren't always going
to be correctly aligned I fear.

I guess this means that the summary file format can't be kept backward
compatible as I will have to take a look at the unit32 encoder, the
##type encoder and the string encoder

Well, if somebody feels brave, feel free to assist me ;-)

> On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 19:23 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > While the x86 handles unaligned access, ARM doesn't. The patch will not
> > work on architectures that don't handle unaligned access.
> >
> > I will try to fix it, but I don't have a lot experience in this field.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be