Re: [Evolution-hackers] strtok camel from evolution-data-server

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 00:52 -0600, Veerapuram Varadhan wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 08:26 +0000, Philip Van Hoof  wrote:
>
> Every little change to a message, like marking it
> read/unread/important/flagging etc will result in mmap'ed write, which
> in turn has overhead on performance, may it be sorting or other
> message-list operations.

The mmap() is going to be a read-only one. Changes to messages in the
folder will (just like how it's currently done) write the summary file.
The only difference here is that the mmap is closed and reopened once
the rewrite is finished. And then will the summary file be reread (so
just like how its currently done).

There's not going to be a big difference here.

> mmap() in camel-folder-summary.c is not acceptable.  A proposal that
> EXTENDS the current architecture to support small-devices ALSO, will be
> more interesting.

> The professional way of achieving this is to extend camel_folder_summary
> into say, camel_mmapped_folder_summary and camel_folders use either
> camel_folder_summary or camel_mmaped_folder_summary based on the
> options/flags set by the application.

Yes, I was planning to make this optional. But as we discussed on IRC,
is the current stuff an experiment that needs huge amounts of
refactoring and improvements. So don't consider the patch to be it. It
definitely needs changes like what you mention here.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be