[Evolution-hackers] strtok camel : Core dump [Was : strtok camel from evolution-data-server]

Hi Philip,

> Most Evolution people already know this. This is just the E-mail you
> > guys have been asking about (well, actually most of you guys asked me to
> > make a bug in bugzilla).

Yes.  The Evolution Team has been in conversation with you by mail/irc
and in person (at GUADEC).

> > So or camel is going to be split from evolution-data-server, or I will
> > fork camel.

This is not the language of a 'dialogue' -  this reads more like an
ultimatum.

> The one laptop per child project, Nokia (maemo) and maybe sooner or
> later other vendors like PalmSource are getting more and more interested
> in tinymail.

> Situation:
> ----------
>
> Tinymail depends on Camel. Camel gets shipped with e-d-s. Tinymail
> doesn't use *any* of the other e-d-s softwares, libraries nor its data.
>

> Observation:
> ------------
>
> >From reading code I *know* camel doesn't have to depend on e-d-s at all.
> It can very easily be cut-off from it. I could probably do this in a few
> hours work.

I disagree. As I am replying, I see Ross has already answered this
point. So, I will skip.

> THIS is ALL I need. Please DO understand this Evolution people.

Try reasons ending with 'This is what Evolution/GNOME needs'. We will
grok it better.

> Hacks like packaging tricks:
> ----------------------------
>
> I AM NOT going to require packaging tricks. Packaging tricks are hacks.
> I don't do hacks. Hacks are ugly. Hacks are win32. I didn't come to the
> opensource community to get myself stuck in hacks.
>
> I strongly disagree with hacks. I don't support hacks. I will not use
> hacks. I will fork if I'm forced to use hacks.

Packaging is NOT a hack. It is a win/win approach for the project and
its consumers.

Ross has already shown the BETTER WAY in ebook. And, the addressbook
component and the Evolution community have gained from his efforts.
So have Ross and Opened Hand.

I do not see what you want to achieve by a fork. But if you must, dear
friend, what can I say :

Camel is Open Source and licensed under the terms of LGPL.

Your surprised pal,
--Harish