Re: [Evolution-hackers] strtok camel from evolution-data-server

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 21:23 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Most Evolution people already know this. This is just the E-mail you
> guys have been asking about (well, actually most of you guys asked me to
> make a bug in bugzilla).
>

> The one laptop per child project, Nokia (maemo) and maybe sooner or
> later other vendors like PalmSource are getting more and more interested
> in tinymail.
>
> Situation:
> ----------
>
> Tinymail depends on Camel. Camel gets shipped with e-d-s. Tinymail
> doesn't use *any* of the other e-d-s softwares, libraries nor its data.

Not strictly true.  From camel/ in EDS HEAD:

#include <libedataserver/e-data-server-util.h>
#include <libedataserver/e-iconv.h>
#include "libedataserver/e-memory.h"
#include <libedataserver/e-msgport.h>
#include <libedataserver/e-sexp.h>
#include "libedataserver/e-time-utils.h"
#include "libedataserver/e-trie.h"
#include <libedataserver/md5-utils.h>

The MD5 code can be removed as I believe its in GLib 2.10 now (although
its early for a hard dep on that).  The sexp, iconv, msgport and memory
code is non-trvial and used in other libraries, so can't be just copied
into camel.

> Observation:
> ------------
>
> >From reading code I *know* camel doesn't have to depend on e-d-s at all.
> It can very easily be cut-off from it. I could probably do this in a few
> hours work.

By copying lots of source, yes.

> The full e-d-s requires 23Mb disk space. Only Camel requires ~ 1MB disk
> space.

Don't install the full EDS.  You'll note that the 770 only contains the
addressbook code, and no groupwise/ldap/exchange support.  Yay for clean
packaging.

> Conclusion:
> -----------
>
> So or camel is going to be split from evolution-data-server, or I will
> fork camel.

This sounds like fighting talk.  Should we arrange a street brawl?
Shame this mail wasn't sent before GUADEC, a fight on the beach, fork vs
split, would have been good.

> Hacks like packaging tricks:
> ----------------------------
>
> I AM NOT going to require packaging tricks. Packaging tricks are hacks.
> I don't do hacks. Hacks are ugly. Hacks are win32. I didn't come to the
> opensource community to get myself stuck in hacks.
>
> I strongly disagree with hacks. I don't support hacks. I will not use
> hacks. I will fork if I'm forced to use hacks.

Packaging the libraries as separate packages is not a hack, it's the
solution.  That way you only install what you need: libedataserver and
libcamel.

                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./