[Evolution-hackers] e-d-s ABI breakage [ .so bump ] ...
- From: Michael Meeks <michael meeks novell com>
- To: Harish Krishnaswamy <kharish novell com>
- Cc: Caolan McNamara <caolanm redhat com>, Robert Love <rml ximian com>, Srinivasa Ragavan <SRagavan novell com>, evolution <evolution-hackers gnome org>
- Subject: [Evolution-hackers] e-d-s ABI breakage [ .so bump ] ...
- Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:12:28 +0100
I spent a while digging into this and trying to patch it to remove the
changes and create something that could be back-compat, so we could
downgrade the .so version again.
Then - I noticed that (apparently) SL 10.1 and SLED10 shipped with the
new ABI anyway; but (presuambly) we just failed to bump the .so number;
at least - I'm giving up until Wed. on the grounds of
incomprehensibility - but it looks like:
* abi breakage occured *
* SL10.1/code-10 ships *
* .so versions bumped
- now -
* Gnome 2.16 ships *
Which makes it look like code-10 shipped with a libebook that (while
having a different .so number) is fully compatible with the current ABI,
(and yet incompatible with the previous version with the same .so
I guess that turns the problem into (mostly) a SUSE issue that we can
work around by some duplication/linking of the the various libraries
twice in our packages - [ugh]; and of course - reverting the ABI
breakage wouldn't help us - it'd prolly just further confuse an already
Unless I'm confused again ?
michael meeks novell com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
] [Thread Prev