Re: [Evolution-hackers] More e-d-s ABI breakage ?

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 15:54 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > The #313533 patch was vital for Ross Burton's dbus-based EDS and running
> > EDS on devices (say Nokia 770) would not be possible w/o this change.
>
> 	Nonsense - at least the link above has no API change that is necessary
> for dbus or Nokia 770 support - unless I'm missing something huge; good
> buzz-words though :-)

The change was required for the 770 as ferrying the photos over the bus
every time the contact is transferred is too large a hit for the
relatively low number of places that a photo is used.  The solution was
to expand the photo struct to support URIs as well as inline, and then
store the photo on disk.

If it's required it might be possible to revert that change and
introduce an alternative.  As you say, a "photo2" property that returns
a new type should be sufficient, I'll have a look later.

I have Grand Plans to write a replacement for EVCard and EContact
though.  I've been adding new API to e-vcard to make it more usable, but
that is just complicating the API for no gain.  Extending EContact is a
pain as all of the data types are public structs with no padding.
EContact also manages to hit that sweet spot between
complicated-but-powerful and easy-but-limited, so it's
complicated-and-limited at once.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./