Re: [Evolution-hackers] Attachment UI

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 22:15 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 10:29 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I have done some improvements to the attachment view and i have attached
> > the screenshot of that.
> >
> > http://gnomebangalore.org/~sragavan/Screenshot-am1.png (unfolded view)
> > http://gnomebangalore.org/~sragavan/Screenshot-am2.png (default view)
> >
> > In a mime tree, it picks up the leaf parts that are pure attachments,
> > and not data/txt/message.
>
> How does it do this?  Does it pre-scan the message tree?  This wont
> work; many parts can be synthesised during the message scan stage and
> don't exist in the original message (inline content, encrypted parts,
> etc).
> It would need to hook into the attachment adding code somehow (i.e.
> em-format-html-display.c:handle_attachment).

Notzed, i had two stuffs in mind, either go the save-attachments plug-in
way and instead of tree view of all, just display the leaf to-be-shown
parts in the bar. Other is exactly the way you say. I thought of adding
it somewhere in format_attachment. But it has a dis adv that, the
unexpanded mail's attachments cant be picked up. Anyway notzed, ill try
hook somewhere to get the attachments. If you have some idea in mind,
can you please pop it out?

> How does 'save all' work?  You're not guaranteed to get unique or even
> usable filenames with attachments.

I thought of appending (1) (2) the filenames or subject or some context
information, so that its no confusing. Okie, for every attachment, i
have the mimepart and thus the bar has the list of parts, and its just
save all the listed parts.

> How is encrypted or signed content displayed?
some sort of encryption/sign emblems on the bar is what i have thought.

> > It just consumes a single line of space, in the folded mode and it is
> > the default, which has a "Save All" button, which also displays the
> > number of attachments. (Currently the screenshot shows a hard coded
> > string). The slideshow can just be another button next to this.
>
> Slideshow seems a bit of bloat, evolution is mostly a mail programme,
> not an interactive video application.

That was another req in the ui enhancement. Probably we can rethink on
that.

> Do we really need the awful icons?  They don't seem to add much - except
> wasting so much space that you can't display the names usefully.  What
> happens when you have more than will fit in a row?  Scrollbar, or resize
> to fit?

Notzed, we need those icons specially, when a user wants to do DnD, its
really easy to do the icons, that just the names which appear like in
list view. Also icons reach users more appealing. I thought of making it
with out a scroll bar and resize it.

> Are attached messages considered attachments or only their content?
only their content.

> The arrow is inconsistent, it should probably be the same as the
> attachment one (or visa-versa).
Its a bug in my ui. i knew it and thanks for pointing out :-)

> > The existing tree view continues and so this provides the unified view
> > of attachments of the entire mail for easy/quick access.
> >
> > please respond back.
>
> Well I guess it's one sort of reasonably workable solution.  That is
> still one bulky extra line wasted though.  i.e. your screenshots should
> also show how it works if you're using the inline mail display.

it displays exactly the same way, probably i can put a screenshot of
that as well. I have some more coding left on this, like how to hook on
etc, once things are done,i can probably give out the patch for this.